Friday, April 6, 2012

Hello April!

   Finally, April has arrived! March seemed to drag so I'm hoping April will fly. Everything at school is going about the same. Ever since the accident, things around the village have gone back to normal. Last week we had a walk in the village to end domestic violence. A lot of people showed up with signs, stickers, posters, bracelets, etc. It was a state wide event and our village was one of hundreds that participated. It was nice to see everyone come together for a good cause.  After the walk we had a community potluck dinner with the villagers and teachers. Everyone brought something with them, I brought some cookies that disappeared quickly. Ever since I got here the kids have talked about this eskimo ice cream that they love so much. I wasn't sure what it was until one of the teachers described what was in it. It is a combination of Crisco, sugar and frozen mixed berries. Some put fish in it. At the potluck they had bowls and bowls of this stuff. I put a tiny bit on my plate to try and see what all the rave was and found out that it was as disgusting as it sounds. It is like eating a berry chapstick rolled in sugar. NASTY! The kids were eating heaping bowls of this stuff. I couldn't even handle a tiny bit. But hey, can't blame me for not trying new things!
   This past week we had Standards Based Assessment (SBA's) going on for all the upper grades. Our K-2 class had to be quiet ALL day while the older kids did their testing. Most of the kids did a great job but a few had some difficulty sitting still and keeping quiet. The testing lasted 3 full days so naturally all the kids were happy it was over today. The weather has been warming up. We get up to the mid 40's some days and amazingly it feels like 80 degrees sometimes. With all the snow and the sun beating down, everything reflects and becomes so warm. Everything is starting to melt. Slowly but surely. Its becoming a icy mess in the morning. Everything melts during the day but then in the evening it freezes again. On Wednesday, Bryan and I got a ride with Ed and Cal to school in the Explorer because the roads were so terrible. It was an ice skating rink. We would of never made it to school on time or safely. (PS- I've been walking to school with Bryan, the tutor, every morning and I sure am loving it) When we got to school, Ed parked the car but with all the ice the car just started sliding. The school parking lot is half flat/ half a hill. So, Gary (school janitor and total sweetheart) pulls up next to us and the cars coming down the hill with no control and we're going "Watch out Gary" and continue to slide down the hill until we stop on a patch of gravel that had no ice. Gary is standing there laughing along with us. It's funny how things like that at home would probably freak me out but out here in the bush, its so natural and carefree, I just laugh. After a few giggles, Ed parked the car and we tried to skate in to school with our boots. The next day we got 3 inches of snow so it wasn't so icy. Talk about how crazy that is. It's spring and it's still snowing here. I miss the flowers, the crisp spring breeze blowing in the windows, etc. We're down to 31 school days left, 42 days left till I leave the village, and 49 days till I'm back in PA! I am so excited!
   Bryan left the village today as his tutoring is over now that the testing is done. He is headed down to Chignik Lake to do some substituting there at their school. It is another school south of here, still in our district. I will miss having him around. He became a good friend of mine. Best of luck Bryan!
   I'll be moving back to my old apartment tomorrow morning/afternoon. My allergies just need a little break from the puppy. I'm looking forward to being my goofy self again, singing loudly in the shower and dancing around the apartment. Should be a good time. Oh, my mom sent me a CD and book on how to meditate so I will be trying to work on that as well in the coming weeks. For those of you who know me, know that I am a huge stresser/worrier, so this should help me out a lot! Thank you Deb for recommending it to my mom. I will start that soon!
   Ok, I think that's it for now. We'll catch up soon.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment